Sunset Neighborhood

Like the rest of the Outside Lands (the old name for the western part of San Francisco), the Inner Sunset was sand dunes until 1887 when developer Aurelius E. Buckingham bought a plot of land around 5th Avenue and Lincoln Way and started to develop the area. UCSF medical center established itself uphill from the neighborhood in 1897. The neighborhood’s development was further spurred by the 1894 California Midwinter Exposition in nearby Golden Gate Park and by relocated refugees following the 1906 earthquake.